Adventure in the Classroom
Highly engaged adventure programming allows students to experience learning and does not require an open field, hiking trail or a gymnasium. This research supported modality of teaching has many benefits along with applications for within the classroom to foster community, accelerate learning outcomes, and teach social and emotional competencies. Our workshop will bring adventure learning to any classroom setting while also supporting positive school climate.
AITC aligns with the International Baccalaureate (IB). The fit is especially strong with the middle years program (MYP) where their Approaches to Learning stress social emotional development. PA’s adventure facilitation techniques and activities help students to become more deeply engaged and connected with peers all while integrating content. Workshop participants electing an IB thread will be directed to IB aligned breakout groups, reading supplements and follow-up consultation.
- Experience a variety of adventure-based lessons and activities that reinforce content and enhance learning.
- Explore how the AITC model advances cognitive as well as social and emotional skills.
- Learn the Experiential Learning Cycle to promote reflective practices, self and social-awareness, and deepen learning to support the learning needs of individual learners, as well as the group.
- Review strategies for adapting existing lessons to the AITC model.
- Develop a plan for applying the model and methods to participants’ school settings. Explore group facilitation skills to help establish a highly effective community.
- Reflect on the impact of adventure and experiential learning while experiencing engagement, challenge, and fun.
Workshop Information (In-Person):
- $390 – Includes registration, workshop manual and lunch during workshop.
- Number of days: 2
- Workshop hours: 8:30am-5:00pm
- Graduate credit: 2 or 4
- CEUs: 1.6
- Please register more than two weeks in advance to ensure the workshop will have enough participants to run as scheduled.
- Workshop registration cancellation policies: Cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to a workshop start date will result in 50% refund of tuition cost. No shows without cancellation notice will forfeit all tuition cost paid.
Online Workshop Information:
- The online workshop will meet August 3-5 from 9:00AM-1:00PM ET.
How to Register
- Phone: (800) 468-8898 or (978) 524-4555
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: Download a workshop registration form and fax to 978-524-4501. NOTE: You must have Acrobat Reader to access this file. If you do not, you can download it for free from Adobe’s website.
- Are you waiting for approval to attend or can’t commit with a payment at this time? No worries, we still want to hear from you! Call or email us and we can put you on the waiting list.