Technical Skills Intensive
This is our intermediate workshop for those who have an introductory technical knowledge, either from taking our Adventure Programming workshop, or the equivalent experience. During this workshop, expect to bring your introductory technical skills to the next level. It is ideal for experienced facilitators and those looking to expand their knowledge of technical systems and prepare for taking the Practitioner Certification Level 1 exam.
- Build on existing skills in knot-tying, belaying and belay team management, spotting, and general facilitation of low and high challenge course elements.
- Gain a working knowledge of the applications, storage, cleaning, and retirement for a variety of equipment including harnesses, helmets, carabiners and other connectors, belay devices, ropes, self-belay lanyards, and belay set-ups (pulleys, SRDs).
- Learn and practice self-belayed climbing and other methods of course access as well as descending techniques.
- Learn more advanced challenge course set-up and take-down procedures including gear retrieval and demonstrate the ability to establish a belay system utilizing pulleys, shear reduction devices, and appropriate connectors and anchorages.
- Learn Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for a variety of high and low challenge course elements including more advanced high element SOPs for Zip Wire, Pamper Pole/Plank, and Flying Squirrel and low element SOPs for swinging and cabled elements, the 12’ Initiative Wall, and the Trust Fall.
- Review industry norms and standards (e.g., MA DPS & other state regulations, ACCT standards) and gain an understanding of basic risk management concerns relative to challenge course operations.
Workshop Information (In-person versions):
- $540 – Includes registration, workshop manual and lunch during workshop.
- Number of days: 3
- Workshop hours: 8:30am-5:00pm
- Graduate credit: 2 or 4
- CEUs: 3.0
- Please register more than two weeks in advance to ensure the workshop will have enough participants to run as scheduled.
- Workshop registration cancellation policies: Cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to a workshop start date will result in 50% refund of tuition cost. No shows without cancellation notice will forfeit all tuition cost paid.
Online Workshop Session Options:
There will be two online workshop sessions available for this workshop:
- Session A: Will meet online Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 6/15-6/25. Online times are 3:00-4:30PM on 6/15, 6/17, 6/18 and 6/22, and 3:00PM-6:00PM on 6/24. An additional 8 hour day on-site at Project Adventure will be either 6/25 or 6/26.
- Session B: Will meet online Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 7/20-7/29. Online times are 10:00-11:30AM on 6/20, 6/22, 6/23 and 6/27 and 9:00AM-12:00PM on 6/29. An additional 8 hour day on-site at Project Adventure will be either 6/30 or 6/31.
- Participants can only register for one session.
How to Register:
- Phone: (800) 468-8898 or (978) 524-4555
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: Download a workshop registration form and fax to 978-524-4501. NOTE: You must have Acrobat Reader to access this file. If you do not, you can download it for free from Adobe’s website.
- Register two weeks prior to workshop start date. Are you waiting for approval to attend or can’t commit with a payment at this time? No worries, we still want to hear from you! Call or email us and we can put you on the waiting list.